Well, our last post was in April and now it’s almost the end of July….this is definitely an area we need to improve upon! We are so excited to share some pictures of what has been happening on the farm and we are Praising God for the progress that has been made regarding the soil and the growth of the plants. There is a marked difference between last years growth and this years! The beets, kale, collards, cabbage, broccoli and Brussels Sprouts are growing so much better this year. The melons and Winter squash also are showing signs of better growth. This was no surprise to us due to the restoration that has been done to the soil thus far. The soil amending that we did is without a doubt working! Amazing that when plants are given the nutrients they need to grow, they thrive. And when humans are given the nutrients they need to grow, they thrive…so much to learn from this incredible life work we have chosen.
Yes we have made a lot of progress but we still have a long way to go. We have plans for amending the other half of the field and adding cover crops to help with building the much needed organic matter that our soil is lacking. This has been such an adventure in faith….believing that things will work if we do our part and if we trust God is in control.
Other happy news is that we stared going to farmers market 7 weeks earlier this year than last..although we were still about 4 weeks late. We love the framers market and are so grateful, that even with little to bring, there are many loyal customers who are supporting us. We had some of those loyal market customers out to the farm this month, which brings Larry and I such joy…sharing food with our community is a big piece to the puzzle of building community based agriculture! Remember you are always invited to come out to the farm…we love visitors!
We are cultivating much more with the Allis Chalmers G this year as well. Larry had three sets of mounting brackets fabricated for the G which will eventually make this process even easier. With the new brackets we will not have to change the sweeps around with each change in bed/row system. This method of cultivating is much quicker and much needed when trying to build a farm with a limited amount of hands. We are so pleased to report that we have been able to keep up with the weed pressure, for the most part, this season. Amazing what a good tool can do for your productivity.
Cultivating With The G -click here to see!
The starts mix soil recipe given in our last post has now been trialed with some changes made. More peanut flour (nitrogen) and TN Brown Rock Phosphate (phosphorus) was added and we are happy with the newer results. We had good germination but the plants were not growing at the speed they should have been. This is were the miracle of life comes in, although the plants were stressed when we transplanted them into the field, they are now happy and beautifully growing! Theses changes seem to be the right adjustment because the plants are now growing much faster and look healthier and less stressed. Creating your own starts mix is no small endeavor. Every day we are learning new things and continue to be humbled in this process!
Last but not least, Larry has been working very hard to juggle farming while building a walk-in-cooler and wash station. It stared with the pour of a 25X30 ft concrete pad…no small feat! We had several family members, friends and even a neighbor come and help with the pour! And now framing and putting on a roof pretty much solo…and keeping up with all the farming that needs to be done. The completed project will be the next post along with some CSA news…Lord willing!
We will end with a few more pictures of the blessings…so many to be thankful for!
We can’t thank you enough for all your support and prayers!
Sincerely & with love,
The LeshersBack to Blog